If you’re not going to use it this winter, then it’s time to find out how to winterize your hot tub. Just like your swimming pool maintenance and winter closing, you can hire a professional or close your hot tub yourself.
8 Steps to Winterizing Your Hot Tub
If you want to close your hot tub yourself, the following guidelines will help.
- Cut the Power – This is rule number one for a reason. It is extremely important that you make sure there is no power to the hot tub before you start to winterize it.
- Drain All the Water – And we mean ALL the water. Open the tub’s bottom drain spout to get rid of all the water in it. Don’t replace the drain plug, but store it in a safe place until you open the tub in the spring.
- Clear the Air Blower – If your hot tub has an air blower, you must drain the water from it. You’ll need to reconnect power to the tub, but turn off the heater first. Cover the tub and turn on the power to the tub. Let the blower run for about 30 seconds. Afterwards, remember to unplug your hot tub or turn off the circuit breaker.
- Remove the Water Filters – Take out all the filter cartridges from the filter well, clean them and store them. Remove any water left in the filter well.
- Loosen Any PVC Pipes and Pump Drain Plugs – Check around the water pumps of your tub. Loosen any PVC pipes connected to the pump(s). Also, remove any drain plugs on the pump(s) and store them.
- Blow Out the Jets – Use a shop-vac set to blow. Get in the tub and force air into each of the jets around the tub to clear the jet lines. Make sure the jets are completely clear of water.
- Double-Check for Water in the Tub – After all the other steps you’ve just taken to close the tub, water may have accumulated in the tub. Get rid of any remaining water. Your tub and every part of it must be completely free of water.
- Cover the Tub – For personal safety and to protect the tub, make sure the tub’s cover is securely in place.
Now start wishing for spring! If you liked this post, check out our recent post on what size of inground swimming pool you should choose.